Holiday Toy Warning

Holiday Toy Warning

Holiday Toy Warning: Orbeez™ Water Beads

Orbeez™ products are very popular among children.

Orbeez™ are super absorbent polymer beads made of acrylic acid, sodium hydroxide and water. Color pigment is added to the balls to make them attractive to children.  

According to the product website: Just add 1 tablespoon of water to Orbeez™ balls and the balls will grow to over 1000 times their size in just 4 hours!

Based on the manufacturer, all Orbeez™ are non-toxic and tests have shown that if a child swallows Orbeez™ they should pass through the digestive system with no problems. Orbeez™ do not break down in the digestive tract, do not stick together, and are not absorbed into the body. They are eliminated through the natural digestive process.


Although the product makers claims that these beads are non-toxic and pose no danger to the digestive system, there are several medical reports of children swallowing the beads and requiring surgery because the swollen beads did not pass through the digestive tract.

Prevention is key! 

  • Children are naturally curious.
  • Orbeez™ are recommended for kids 5 years old and older.
  • Allow children to play with Orbeez™ only after they have expanded, per manufacturer instructions. 
  • Have a rule that Orbeez™ may only be played with under adult supervision and keep them safety stored away at all other times.