You are what you eat!
Your health is directly related to the types of foods that go into your body. No single food can offer all the nutrition we need, but there are certain foods, “superfoods”, that can really power-pack your health.
Here is a list of SUPERFOODS that should be made a part of your family’s daily diet:
- Avocados: This fruit contains the highest amount of good fats when compared to almost any other fruit. It protects against heart disease by reducing bad cholesterol levels while increasing good cholesterol levels.
- Berries: They are naturally sweet and high in fiber. They are also high in antioxidants and disease-fighting nutrients.
- Spinach and other leafy greens: Excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and fiber. It also contains numerous phytochemicals, chemicals made by plants that have a positive effect on your health.
- Fish: A great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which help prevent heart disease.
- Legumes: They are inexpensive, high in fiber, and high in protein. They are a plant-based protein that are a near perfect substitute for red meat. They improve digestion, reduce cholesterol, and control blood sugar levels.
- Nuts: A good source of plant protein. They contain monounsaturated fats which are heart-healthy fats that boost good cholesterol levels and can significantly reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Olive oil: Contains vitamin E, polyphenols, and monounsaturated fatty acids which all which help reduce the risk of heart disease. Use it in place of butter.
- Tomatoes: High in vitamin C and lycopene, which has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. Lycopene becomes more available for the body to use when tomatoes are prepared and heated in a healthy fat such as olive oil.
- Yogurt: Excellent source of calcium and protein. It contains live bacteria called probiotics. These “good bacteria” protect the body from other, more harmful bacteria.
- Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables: They are packed with fiber, vitamins, and phytochemicals including indoles, thiocyanates, and nitriles, which help prevent cancer.